Skip to main content

So What ...

What's the Difference?

In 2005 I learned something. I learned something life changing. I learned something that changed my perspective and focus. I thought I had operated biblically, but found I was operating under the realm of American Christianity.

For me, it all changed in 2005.

In the chart above, American Christianity is on the left (Attraction). That's where I was. And I was there a long time! From the early 70's in fact. Then 30 years later I read this (prompted by the Holy Spirit) ... Isaiah 43:18-19 (NIV)"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

It was almost instantaneous. I was transformed from Attractional to Incarnational! Study the chart. The words of Isaiah above were the beginning of a framework to transform me from a Local Church Builder to a Kingdom Builder. 

I had to abandon all that I thought was vitally important (but was actually not a God movement at all). Things like, "Come" - "All are Welcome" - "Join Us" - were not Incarnational. Being Local Church Builders meant getting people to fill seats, give money and build buildings. We would pay to advertise who we are and what we do to attract people ... which more often than not were other church goers who were disgruntled with where they were attending. So seats would fill up with new people but they were not new believers. And in the eyes of the L.C.B.'s (Local Church Builders) CHURCH GROWTH WAS HAPPENING! But it was NOT Real Growth At All. It's what has been termed at "transferal growth". That growth is not long lasting because if people came to you disgruntled where they were at, they will become disgruntled with you at some point and cut out. L.C.B.'s Transferal Growth violates Jesus' final words to His disciples in Acts 1:8 (NIV) "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." and His other words found in Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV) "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." I see strikingly absent terms like ... "come" - "join" - "welcome" ... in these words of Jesus. Because those words don't describe Kingdom Building.

In 2005, I became committed to Kingdom Building. I was a pastor in a local church that was committed to being L.C.B.ers. I was ushered out less than a year later! A few months following that we led a few families in a home fellowship that exploded with growth (not transferal but redemptive). A number of new Christ-Followers were added and the Holy Spirit's presence was evident in this Discipleship process. In 2008 we were contacted by another home fellowship that had begun meeting to restore faith in being Christ-Followers after a painful experience and again, the Mission of Jesus (Kingdom Building) became the focus and was life changing for many. The painful experience faded, the mission of going began and the Kingdom was being built.

I have a dear friend who sent me an email overnight with an observation he has been making of a local fellowship we both know about. He is a Kingdom Builder and he loves to see the Spirit's activity explode in our world. But his heart was heavy when he wrote these words to me: "(this group has) become another marketed religion with the Rev titles and new physcogable programs and stuff ... only God is to be revered not man"! He is so right. If the desire is to be Kingdom Builders but we use non-God type methods to Build ... it becomes "L.C.B."

So, What ...? Again, I ask you to study the chart. Open the Word. Find the Fact of Kingdom Building. Ask God to Form your Heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MMB Jan 8 2023

BLESSINGS OF A NEW YEAR I am thinking about 2022. The year didn't go fully as planned. It did, however, go exactly how God planned. He reminded my just yesterday something of significance He did for us in 2022. I will not share the details because it's not the point, but I will share with a simple statement that the faithfulness of God Almighty has been a dynamic reality this past year.  We left 2021 with our roofing company which replaced our leaky roof with a brand new one but causing the living room ceiling to collapse in front of us. God's faithful hand of protection and care kept that ceiling from coming completely down until just a day or two from when the repair team showed up to fix the ceiling. The crew of three dwindled later that day to a 60 year old man working by himself to shore up the existing woodwork that was totally weakened and damaged over the years prior to our purchase 6 months earlier. the roof was replaced in one day in mid-October. The ceiling worke

MMB 6-26-23

Summer Heat Of course it's always hot in Florida. Well, I'm from New England and I've seen it almost 30° below zero. I've also seen it snow in every month but July. So saying it's always hot in Florida is relative. Since moving here 8 years ago, my blood has thinned so a 50° day means a warm hoodie and hat. I've lost all respect for cold 🥶. In my latter years in Northern New Hampshire the rule was if my feet are cold the rest of me is cold. There are pictures of me sitting in my living room with two sweat shirts, a woolen cap and a blanket on me mid winter even though the woodstove just 6 feet away was putting out 80+° in the house.  Summer heat whether here in Florida or in dog days of summer (3 H's - Hazy, Hot, Humid) in NH are uncomfortable. It's staggering to me that people tolerated such heat prior to central A/C. Just this week in 90° temps and dew points at 73° when I got in our car I'd turn on the A/C immediately after starting it was so op

MMB Listen to this #8

Welcome back to my life adventure "B.M." (Before Marriage)! Actually, as you've noticed in some of the earlier episodes, I noticed Kathy in 1973 but really hooked up with her in 1974 and we became engaged in 1975. So this summer will be 50 years of becoming connected together. Then we were married in 1976 making this past anniversary our 47th. But onto the continuing saga. I had mentioned previously about Greg Laurie's film released this year "The Jesus Revolution". We were able to view the film a couple of weeks ago. It was a full reminder of what was happening in the late 60s and early 70s. All around the time of this adventure of mine being penned in this blog. Shortly after high school graduation (1971) and my 5 months into 1972 at WOLBI, I became a working man at my first 40 hr week job. A pre-Walmart New England retail department store opened their first chain in my home town of Southbridge, MA. A number of their early stores were housed in former mill