Skip to main content

MMB. Listen to this... #2

 My testimony of my encounter with Jesus Christ was documented on Listen to this ... #1, both here and my longtime blog mike-tremblay.blogspot.com.

That encounter led to some of the most amazing and unbelievable life journeys for this young high school freshman. 

Two wonderful Christ-Followers began to instill in me the wonders of my new life in Christ. I already mention Ray, a faithful friend who became instrumental in my following Jesus as Savior. He didn't quit when he first took me to the outdoor Youth Rally in Worcester, Massachusetts and I didn't respond to the preacher's invitation to follow Christ. He once again took me to Boston and Tremont Temple where I did make that vital decision to give my life to Jesus. Of course Ray rejoiced in my choosing Christ in my life. But he knew that I needed to grow in my new faith. He continued to bring me to rallies and meetings to help me build my life on the Lord Jesus and learning His Word (the Bible). A daily morning radio show called Songtime with host John DeBrine was introduced to me by Ray. I found that Songtime radio and Boston Youthtime were united together under Debrine's ministry. I believe at the time of my spiritual renewal, John was Pastor of Ruggle Street Baptist Church in Boston but shortly after became full-time in radio ministry and youth rallys. There's much more info about the radio ministry and youth gatherings to share but that will be coming later on.

Along with Ray, there was another person who the Lord used to disciple me in my new walk with Christ. At the time of my becoming a Christ-Follower, a spiritual stirring began to take place in our downtown Baptist Church. Both my parents followed Jesus but in a less devoted manner until my encounter. They both rededicated their lives to Christ and felt called to lead a youth group in the church. My mother also formed a singing trio with the pastor's wife and a dear family friend. They traveled singing and sharing their testimonies in churches close by. The third member of the trio was Mrs. Olsen. Her husband was the bank president and eventually offered my mother a job at the Savings Bank across the street from our church. We were family friends with the Olsen's, but the relationship deepened when all these spiritual encounters began happening. My sister and her friends began attending the Boston Youth Rallies when my parents were youth leaders. They even bought a large passenger van to bring groups to these rallies. Soon my sister found Christ, as did some of her friends and classmates. One of these friends was the Olsen's daughter. Mrs. Olsen felt led to begin a Bible club for these girls which led to other classmates finding Jesus as Savior. A spiritual awakening was beginning to happen in our town and Ray, my folks, and Mrs. Olsen were fully part of it! Mrs. Olsen then offered to disciple me. This began a deeper living and learning experience for me. In 1968, our family took a vacation at the Word of Life campground in upstate New York. The WOL founder and director, Jack Wyrtzen was preaching at Boston Youthtime the night my sister decided to follow Christ. So at WOL, my sister and I were at the Jr Ranch and my folks were at the adult conference called the "Inn". Deeper encounters took place that summer.

Back at home, the school year started and there was still discipling going on with Ray and Mrs. "O" (who she was affectionately now known as), as well as Youth Group, road trips and Bible Clubs. Youthtime, Songtime and now Word of Life became a big part of my life. In the summer of 1969, I worked at the WOL Inn as a dishwasher with a crew of seven cleaning 400 guest plates each meal. My pay? $15/wk with room and board! I worked one more summer at the Inn. In my senior year of HS, I applied and was accepted to the new WOL Bible Institute. I attended the 2nd of operation. But the summer following HS graduation, due to certain circumstances, I left WOL Inn dishwashing crew and became a Jr. Counselor at Camp Pineridge, the boys camp at Rumney (NH) Bible Conference. As I was meeting with the camp directors during the transition from the Inn to Pineridge, the Bible speaker at RBC was none other that John DeBrine. Our youth group from the Baptist Church became such a Youthtime presence, John recognized me right away. In his hotel room in the Lodge was a makeshift but very usable radio studio. He invited me up to the room to watch the production and then he asked for an interview. He knew my testimony so he wanted his radio audience to hear it too. That was not the only time I was on Songtime as he interviewed me years later when I became pastor of my first church in Vermont. On two or three occasions my dear friend and nearby pastor took our youth on the long trek to Boston Youthtime on Saturday nights. Both Pastor Bob and myself (Pastor Mike) had to preach Sunday morning but seeing our youth becoming Christ-Followers was worth the tiredness. Here I was, twelve years later at Tremont Temple where I put my trust in Christ, and invited to the front, handed a mic before a crowd of about 1,200 to give my testimony. It was a life situation I will never, ever forget. There were more times of impact over the years with the two leaders of WOL and Songtime. I appreciate those wonderful encounters with these Godly men.

As I close this part of the story, it's important to relay that in the 90s I pastored a church on the NH-Maine border. We invited John DeBrine to have a 4-5 day Bible Conference at the church. His radio show leading up to that date had the dates, time and place of that conference. People came from far and near and that country church was packed every night of John's stay. In 2021, I saw a Facebook post that announced that John had passed away at age 96. That news just flooded back tearful but joyous memories of the spiritual impact for me, my sister, our many church youth groups and my parents. Mom and Dad for years vacationed with John and Songtime listeners on the yearly Yellow Bird flight to Florida for a Snow Bird Bible Conference. 

Yes, there's much more to come. So gear up for part 3 coming soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MMB Jan 8 2023

BLESSINGS OF A NEW YEAR I am thinking about 2022. The year didn't go fully as planned. It did, however, go exactly how God planned. He reminded my just yesterday something of significance He did for us in 2022. I will not share the details because it's not the point, but I will share with a simple statement that the faithfulness of God Almighty has been a dynamic reality this past year.  We left 2021 with our roofing company which replaced our leaky roof with a brand new one but causing the living room ceiling to collapse in front of us. God's faithful hand of protection and care kept that ceiling from coming completely down until just a day or two from when the repair team showed up to fix the ceiling. The crew of three dwindled later that day to a 60 year old man working by himself to shore up the existing woodwork that was totally weakened and damaged over the years prior to our purchase 6 months earlier. the roof was replaced in one day in mid-October. The ceiling worke

MMB 6-26-23

Summer Heat Of course it's always hot in Florida. Well, I'm from New England and I've seen it almost 30° below zero. I've also seen it snow in every month but July. So saying it's always hot in Florida is relative. Since moving here 8 years ago, my blood has thinned so a 50° day means a warm hoodie and hat. I've lost all respect for cold 🥶. In my latter years in Northern New Hampshire the rule was if my feet are cold the rest of me is cold. There are pictures of me sitting in my living room with two sweat shirts, a woolen cap and a blanket on me mid winter even though the woodstove just 6 feet away was putting out 80+° in the house.  Summer heat whether here in Florida or in dog days of summer (3 H's - Hazy, Hot, Humid) in NH are uncomfortable. It's staggering to me that people tolerated such heat prior to central A/C. Just this week in 90° temps and dew points at 73° when I got in our car I'd turn on the A/C immediately after starting it was so op

MMB Listen to this #8

Welcome back to my life adventure "B.M." (Before Marriage)! Actually, as you've noticed in some of the earlier episodes, I noticed Kathy in 1973 but really hooked up with her in 1974 and we became engaged in 1975. So this summer will be 50 years of becoming connected together. Then we were married in 1976 making this past anniversary our 47th. But onto the continuing saga. I had mentioned previously about Greg Laurie's film released this year "The Jesus Revolution". We were able to view the film a couple of weeks ago. It was a full reminder of what was happening in the late 60s and early 70s. All around the time of this adventure of mine being penned in this blog. Shortly after high school graduation (1971) and my 5 months into 1972 at WOLBI, I became a working man at my first 40 hr week job. A pre-Walmart New England retail department store opened their first chain in my home town of Southbridge, MA. A number of their early stores were housed in former mill