Skip to main content

MMB. Listen to this ... Part 4

The time period: September 1967.

The place: Southbridge, Mass.

The story: A 14 year old HS freshman's account of his meeting Jesus Christ as his Savior and the beginning steps of his life as one of His followers.

The invitation: If you would like to directly contact, or if you have a question for Mike, use the LifeJourney email: lifejourneyconnection@gmail.com or text: 603.960.4949.

On with the next segment...


My times of discipleship with Ray, Mrs. O, John DeBrine, youth group or church just did not address any kind of strong opposition people may have toward the Gospel message when shared. Neither discussed was the devastation I was feeeling with the physical attack I encountered on my paper route while telling others of the new life Christ offers.

But it's important to say that even though I was completely floored by the incident, I never once denounced my faith or desired to turn away from my Savior. But I did have very strong feelings about witnessing or sharing my life story with others. I can almost hear myself utter the words, "That's it. I'm through. This is someone else's job ... Not mine!" From that moment on I kept silent about my life with Jesus. I just thought that the Lord didn't need me to make Him known if these were the consequences.

Today, some fifty-five years later, I can tell you that along the way and shortly after the attack, my feeling of "Evangelism Silence" was short-lived. Being so long ago, I don't recall exactly what the Lord used to change my heart but I can say this, Evangelism is near and dear to my heart. 

I recall that less than two years later, while on summer staff as a dishwasher at the Word of Life Inn, I often spent my days off traveling with the Open Air Campaigners to Lake George, NY to be part of their outdoor evangelistic efforts in that summer resort where many would flock for vacation with families. Very present as well were those of the "Hippie" generation. The hippies weren't much older than I, but I remember speaking to them after they and others gathered around the OAC van and evangelist to hear the good news of Jesus and salvation in His name. The missionary would teach a Bible message using a drawing board and paints. While he was preparing the board for the lesson, some of us on the team were invited to give a testimony of our own encounter of finding Christ as Savior. And yes, just about 15 months of making my declaration to "be done" with sharing Christ, I was on the van platform with a microphone and loudspeaker giving my own story of following Jesus! When the Lord grabs your heart and His Spirit moves in your life your feelings take second place. He was actually changing mine with a sort of revival and renewal. That day I in Lake George, NY I explained the Gospel to a young hippie as he responded to the Good News by placing His trust in Christ. That, folks, erased the paper bag attack incident fully.

My confidence began to build. Silence was no longer my manner of life while following Christ!

Prior to that summer incident, on Easter Day 1969, about a year and a half following my salvation experience, I obeyed the Lord by giving an outward testimony of my inward renewal by being baptized. Being immersed in the waters of baptism did nothing to cleanse me of my sin or renew me in living for Jesus. Instead it was a the way to express to others publicly and outwardly of what happened to me inwardly by following Jesus as my Savior. This took place in the downtown Church where my parents became involved with the youth. If my recall is correct the woman's trio which my Mom and Mrs. O were part of, sang at a nearby church just over the stateline in Eastford, Connecticut that Easter Day. Unbeknown to us at the time, that Baptist Church would soon become our home church. The third person of the trio was the downtown Church's pastor's wife. She and her husband moved on when a rumble occured in the church of the youth group's growth and influence and people seeing a Spiritual renewal occuring. The old guard had a hard time with such changes. The new pastor was more on par for the old guard but was not a positive one for the one's giving their lives to Jesus and desiring to serve Him. The result was my parents were no longer youth leaders, the trio disbanded, and all the wonderful joyous activities of many new Christ-Followers seemed to be unaccepted. The small Baptist Church in Connecticut was much more accepting of the Spiritual activity that took place the last two years. So for our family the changing of churches occured.

Events of the summer at WOL Inn led to a renewed commitment to Evangelism coming into my Junior year of HS. Ray too, had a new church he was attending nearer to his home (which was in the next County over from ours) where his dear brother was called to be pastor. Often Ray would bring some youth from his church and my folks in the van with youth from our new church to Youthtime rallies each month. Mrs. O's group of girls were intact. They still met separate from the downtown  Church. Their family did not leave the church yet. It wasn't long after though that our church in Connecticut planted a daughter church in our hometown. One of the founding families were the Olson's! While I was in college I had the joy of visiting the new church which was meeting in my HS auditorium! And then in the early 80s I was invited to preach at Faith Baptist Church, Southbridge, Mass! Some of my HS classmates found Jesus as Savior and were there when I spoke that Super Bowl Sunday.

All of this occurred because a man felt burdened to take a young 14 year old HS freshman to a youth rally in the big city. No doubt the Holy Spirit's hand was leading making plans for big things. But there were more big things about to happen and that will be our next segment in Part 5. Come on back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MMB Jan 8 2023

BLESSINGS OF A NEW YEAR I am thinking about 2022. The year didn't go fully as planned. It did, however, go exactly how God planned. He reminded my just yesterday something of significance He did for us in 2022. I will not share the details because it's not the point, but I will share with a simple statement that the faithfulness of God Almighty has been a dynamic reality this past year.  We left 2021 with our roofing company which replaced our leaky roof with a brand new one but causing the living room ceiling to collapse in front of us. God's faithful hand of protection and care kept that ceiling from coming completely down until just a day or two from when the repair team showed up to fix the ceiling. The crew of three dwindled later that day to a 60 year old man working by himself to shore up the existing woodwork that was totally weakened and damaged over the years prior to our purchase 6 months earlier. the roof was replaced in one day in mid-October. The ceiling worke

MMB 6-26-23

Summer Heat Of course it's always hot in Florida. Well, I'm from New England and I've seen it almost 30° below zero. I've also seen it snow in every month but July. So saying it's always hot in Florida is relative. Since moving here 8 years ago, my blood has thinned so a 50° day means a warm hoodie and hat. I've lost all respect for cold 🥶. In my latter years in Northern New Hampshire the rule was if my feet are cold the rest of me is cold. There are pictures of me sitting in my living room with two sweat shirts, a woolen cap and a blanket on me mid winter even though the woodstove just 6 feet away was putting out 80+° in the house.  Summer heat whether here in Florida or in dog days of summer (3 H's - Hazy, Hot, Humid) in NH are uncomfortable. It's staggering to me that people tolerated such heat prior to central A/C. Just this week in 90° temps and dew points at 73° when I got in our car I'd turn on the A/C immediately after starting it was so op

MMB Listen to this #8

Welcome back to my life adventure "B.M." (Before Marriage)! Actually, as you've noticed in some of the earlier episodes, I noticed Kathy in 1973 but really hooked up with her in 1974 and we became engaged in 1975. So this summer will be 50 years of becoming connected together. Then we were married in 1976 making this past anniversary our 47th. But onto the continuing saga. I had mentioned previously about Greg Laurie's film released this year "The Jesus Revolution". We were able to view the film a couple of weeks ago. It was a full reminder of what was happening in the late 60s and early 70s. All around the time of this adventure of mine being penned in this blog. Shortly after high school graduation (1971) and my 5 months into 1972 at WOLBI, I became a working man at my first 40 hr week job. A pre-Walmart New England retail department store opened their first chain in my home town of Southbridge, MA. A number of their early stores were housed in former mill