Skip to main content

MMB Listen to this #8

Welcome back to my life adventure "B.M." (Before Marriage)!

Actually, as you've noticed in some of the earlier episodes, I noticed Kathy in 1973 but really hooked up with her in 1974 and we became engaged in 1975. So this summer will be 50 years of becoming connected together. Then we were married in 1976 making this past anniversary our 47th.

But onto the continuing saga. I had mentioned previously about Greg Laurie's film released this year "The Jesus Revolution". We were able to view the film a couple of weeks ago. It was a full reminder of what was happening in the late 60s and early 70s. All around the time of this adventure of mine being penned in this blog.

Shortly after high school graduation (1971) and my 5 months into 1972 at WOLBI, I became a working man at my first 40 hr week job. A pre-Walmart New England retail department store opened their first chain in my home town of Southbridge, MA. A number of their early stores were housed in former mill manufacturing outlets. AMES (a Hartford, CT company) was one of the first to begin taking advantage of the new shopping strip mall concept. A new complex was opening in nearby Sturbridge where a grocery store, bookstore, coffee shop etc. was being built. On the opposite end of the grocery store within the strip of stores was AMES's new offering, that would take them out of the mill warehouse. To open the new store, Ames was hiring a crew of stock boys to get the store moved from the mill to the mall. I was the 25th boy to be hired for this venture. I spent more time at the new complex than the mill as I was setting up the future store. Being one of the last persons to be hired for this duty much of the set up was near completion. And as Grand Opening was about to take place the company began the dreadful duty of laying off the no longer needed stock boys. Grand Opening came, a guy who became a friend and I were used on that day to promote a fun atmosphere for the customers coming into the store. So they dressed us up as Fred and Barney from the Flintstones. The costumes were the type with the big heads and short arms and legs like the characters you see at Thanksgiving Macy's Parade. Enough of that. 

So the layoffs began. One would figure that the last to be hired would be the first to be laid off. And I was that last one. But one by one, the stock boys were let go but I was still there. Out of the 25 hired there were only two left. Number 1 and 25! Number one was a guy named Angel. With a name like that, how can you lay him off? I forget if he was the one who played Barney but we became friends, the two who evaded the lay offs!

So, I bought a vehicle for cheap. A 1964 Ford Econoline Van. It had a very small 6 cyl engine and a three speed column shift transmission. I got it for cheap for two reasons. One, my Dad was friends with the Rambler dealer owner and two, the van had a huge dent near the gas filler in the driver side back. Even so it was my first vehicle and I loved it. I quickly made friends with all my Ames employees because I was known as the 25th stock boy hired who never got laid off! The store manager took a liking to me as well. He would have me drive his family home during the Grand Opening a few towns away and also had me drive to another Ames store about two hours away to pick up supplies his store was short on. 




One woman who worked the register (I think) was named Alice. She thought I was a cute teenager and would often talk with me. Oh, by the way, Alice was in her 70s! As I was driving in that van down Main Street in town, I say Alice and I shouted out and beeped at her to say hi. I was looking at her and not the road and as I turned back my vision to the street a car was stopped dead in front of me. I slammed on my brakes but was too close to avoid hitting the guy's bumper. The van was a flat nose, with nothing but linkage a floorboard in the front. And even though I was traveling less than the speed limited while waving at Alice, the impact did a lot of damage to the van I loved. The linkage for steering and shifting were wrecked and the floorboard was pushed all the way up so the clutch had no movement downward. The floorboard came all the way up to the clutch.

So, I became known as the kid who totaled his car oogling at a 70 year old woman! How do you live that down?

So, it was back to Syl's Auto Sales with Dad to replace my totaled van. I was really hoping for another one. I loved that one so much. To my disappointment all he had in my price range was a '64 Rambler American. It was a cute car but not a van. So the humiliation of the events of the accident continued with the purchase of this ... ahhh, cccaaarr. Ugh.

So this was Mike Tremblay by day. But the Mike Tremblay after work is what I want to focus on next time, in offering number 9. But as a preview: A new mission was beginning by a few guys including myself at our church in Eastford, CT. We called ourselves "Fishermen for Christ". Wait until you hear the similarities of what we were doing on the East Coast to what was occurring on the West Coast! Stay tuned, that's next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MMB 6-26-23

Summer Heat Of course it's always hot in Florida. Well, I'm from New England and I've seen it almost 30° below zero. I've also seen it snow in every month but July. So saying it's always hot in Florida is relative. Since moving here 8 years ago, my blood has thinned so a 50° day means a warm hoodie and hat. I've lost all respect for cold 🥶. In my latter years in Northern New Hampshire the rule was if my feet are cold the rest of me is cold. There are pictures of me sitting in my living room with two sweat shirts, a woolen cap and a blanket on me mid winter even though the woodstove just 6 feet away was putting out 80+° in the house.  Summer heat whether here in Florida or in dog days of summer (3 H's - Hazy, Hot, Humid) in NH are uncomfortable. It's staggering to me that people tolerated such heat prior to central A/C. Just this week in 90° temps and dew points at 73° when I got in our car I'd turn on the A/C immediately after starting it was so op

MMB - Epilogue....Series number 10

Epilogue....Series number 10 So this ends the series of events that have happened in my life from around a month after I turned 14 years old (September 1967) to around the time I began a relationship with my best friend, Kat in 1974. With that said, here's my disclaimer: in just about 90 days I will be turning 70 years old. Some of the details may be a bit off, but sincerely I am sharing my heart with the best recall I have. Unfortunately, most of the people I could confer with about details were folk in my parent's age group to which most are gone from us. Further, many of my peers are unreachable as we've lost contact. In fact, some of them were last seen at our wedding in 1976 and others in 1974.  I am sure some facts may be a bit off but none purposely. I happily will accept correcting where my memory has failed. If you are reading this and we're part of the story feel free to comment, or text or email details. Thank you for helping and understanding. Here's my

MMB Jan 8 2023

BLESSINGS OF A NEW YEAR I am thinking about 2022. The year didn't go fully as planned. It did, however, go exactly how God planned. He reminded my just yesterday something of significance He did for us in 2022. I will not share the details because it's not the point, but I will share with a simple statement that the faithfulness of God Almighty has been a dynamic reality this past year.  We left 2021 with our roofing company which replaced our leaky roof with a brand new one but causing the living room ceiling to collapse in front of us. God's faithful hand of protection and care kept that ceiling from coming completely down until just a day or two from when the repair team showed up to fix the ceiling. The crew of three dwindled later that day to a 60 year old man working by himself to shore up the existing woodwork that was totally weakened and damaged over the years prior to our purchase 6 months earlier. the roof was replaced in one day in mid-October. The ceiling worke