Skip to main content

MMB - 11/28/16 -- PEACE AND HOPE

MMB - 11/28/16  -- PEACE AND HOPE


As I write this morning, the background music is playing very familiar Christmas celebration songs. My cup has been warmed up with some fresh brewed coffee and my Bible is opened to the familiar Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

While our family watched the final minutes of the New England Patriot's win over the NY Jets (sorry Jets fans!), we New Englander's transplanted to Florida, loved seeing the final knee taken by QB Tom Brady to seal the win. Then we were directed to the Raiders game and their tie with the Panthers in the final moments of that game. The final came by way of a Raider field goal and the score was 35-32. I commented on Raider's QB, Derek Carr's arm tattoos. His right arm had a religious symbol while his left arm had a Scripture reference. After a few pauses with the remote, we concluded the verse was from Jeremiah 29:11! It was confirmed later in a YouTube video where Derek explained both tattoos in his testimony. 

Recently, my wife and I have been meditating on that verse. Because of circumstance I won't get into, her wedding band has been unusable. She found a beautiful ring on line that refers to this verse and that began our meditations on it! I also picked up a new Bible last week and bookmarked Jeremiah 29. When I opened it this morning preparing to write this week's MONDAY MORNING BLOG, it occurred to me these words hold a number of promises God is pouring out on Jeremiah, Israel and we who are Christ-Followers.

Our God has thoughts of Peace and a future of Hope. Jesus fulfills this reality. The newborn King came to provide inward PEACE as was told by the angels to the shepherds "Peace on earth good will toward men". How great is that!

And then there's HOPE. Hopelessness cause many to be in despair at Christmas and year round. But Christ came to give the hopeless real lasting HOPE! Jesus is the HOPE of the world. All human efforts to establish hope fail because man cannot provide the lasting HOPE Jesus can only provide. 

When these words in Jeremiah were penned many years ago, it was a promise from the Almighty all humanity would need. But the greatest need of mankind is HOPE & PEACE. Jesus' birth by way of a virgin was God's answer to man's great need. The Prince of Peace, the Wonderful Counselor, Jesus Christ, provides us with lasting inward PEACE and a promise of Future HOPE.

I was impressed when on that YouTube video, Derek Carr quoted Jeremiah 29:11 by memory. This Christmas 2016, I am committing to my older-man memory this verse as well. It will be a great reminder of God's love for me and His provision of Jesus to be my Savior. Yes! He's our PEACE and our HOPE. Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lobstah!

Check this out! Found this on Yahoo! They say to buy and eat this big boy it would've cost you over $100. Here's the picture and story: Jan. 10: Neil Robinson, of Portsmouth N.H., carries a 140-year-old, 20-pound lobster onto the rocks in Kennebunkport, Maine, to be released. The lobster was confined to a tank at a New York City seafood restaurant for about 10 days until the restaurant had a change of heart and agreed to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals return the lucky lobster, named George, to Kennebunkport, where he was be released back into the sea.

TOO LONG AWAY!

Just a quick note to all ... I am coming back with new posts, just days away so stand by! Thanks! Check my TWEETS ==> @mtis4gvn or @agfnh Check my PHOTOS ==> Instagram @mtis4gvn C U SOON!

MMB - 13 March 2017

Today's GO TO Verses ... In my time today with Jesus sipping my coffee I was impressed with the following Scriptures: Psalm 119:25 "My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to Your Word"  and Isaiah 44:6 "Thus says the Lord, 'I am the First and the Last; besides Me there is no God'" Psalm 119 is the great chapter in the Bible that is centered around the Word of God. The Lord in His great wisdom utilized a myriad of words describing the Scriptures in these hundred plus verses found in chapter 119. Words like, testimonies , decrees , statutes , laws , commands , precepts are just a few that are used. They mean essentially the same thing in the context of this chapter, but the variety of terms used make the teaching come alive and more vibrant. In fact, teachers through the ages have used this method in getting across their message. Repetition without boredom, you might say. When I give a Bible teaching, I prepare by using a valuable tool on