Skip to main content

Revelation - A Bible Book Often Avoided

MMB 7-1-2024

I have an app on my phone that reminds me of my daily Scripture reading so I can complete reading the Bible in one year. That completion date for me was yesterday June 30, 2024. The app I use suggests three chapters a day except for Sunday which is five chapter readings.

I completed an inspiring read through the Book of Revelation yesterday. Many avoid Revelation because of its many "Sevens" that appear confusing. Seven Angels, Seven Bowls, Seven trumpets, Seven Scrolls ... they're there. Then there are descriptions of certain creatures with multiple heads and faces and horns which can shock anyone. But Revelation mostly explains the confusing terms as you read on. You can't give up. You can't fear the terminology. You can't avoid those unknowns because they are soon revealed. 

I've decided to re-read the Book. I've done two years of reading through the Bible and I will take a break from that now. But I won't stop reading Scripture. I do journal my reading of three and five chapters but it's not an indepth notation. My re-read of Revelation will be a chapter a day. And I will journal with more depth. I will also use a couple of versions in the reading. My Bible Reading during '23-'24 was in the NLT (New Living Translation). I am choosing the ESV (English Standard Version) and the LSB (Legacy Standard Bible, which is an upgrade from the trusted NASB 2020). The New American Standard is a version I've used since a teenager. While at Bible College I learned Greek and how to translate it into English. My own translating work was almost word for word what was found in the NASB. That intrigued me. Let me say that the word "NEW" usually implies there's an old. And there is. The ASV 1901 was the original. It used the word "Jehovah" in its Old Testament translation. NASB began in 1959 and was completed in 1971. Then updated in '77, '95 and 2020. In those four translations the "Jehovah" reverted back to LORD (all capitals). The new Legacy Standard Bible follows the same translation rules as it's predecessors but chose the term "Yahweh" where the 1901 ASV had "Jehovah".

I no longer have a copy of the NASB and the LSB is not yet available in the bundle I really want. So I'm using life.church's (Pastor Craig Groeschel) YouVersion app (sometimes just called Bible). 

Just so you know, I used the on-line Bible Gateway to read through the Bible in a year. And further, I do have copies of NLT as well as ESV Bibles. Even multiple copies. Those were the two versions I used most often in teaching and preaching very recently. (And occasionally the New King James Version). 

So my new reading adventure begins today. My journal will be full with exciting insights from the Holy Spirit. I'm sure I'll share some of those insights with you. 

Nothing to fear ... much to learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lobstah!

Check this out! Found this on Yahoo! They say to buy and eat this big boy it would've cost you over $100. Here's the picture and story: Jan. 10: Neil Robinson, of Portsmouth N.H., carries a 140-year-old, 20-pound lobster onto the rocks in Kennebunkport, Maine, to be released. The lobster was confined to a tank at a New York City seafood restaurant for about 10 days until the restaurant had a change of heart and agreed to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals return the lucky lobster, named George, to Kennebunkport, where he was be released back into the sea.

TOO LONG AWAY!

Just a quick note to all ... I am coming back with new posts, just days away so stand by! Thanks! Check my TWEETS ==> @mtis4gvn or @agfnh Check my PHOTOS ==> Instagram @mtis4gvn C U SOON!

MMB - 13 March 2017

Today's GO TO Verses ... In my time today with Jesus sipping my coffee I was impressed with the following Scriptures: Psalm 119:25 "My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to Your Word"  and Isaiah 44:6 "Thus says the Lord, 'I am the First and the Last; besides Me there is no God'" Psalm 119 is the great chapter in the Bible that is centered around the Word of God. The Lord in His great wisdom utilized a myriad of words describing the Scriptures in these hundred plus verses found in chapter 119. Words like, testimonies , decrees , statutes , laws , commands , precepts are just a few that are used. They mean essentially the same thing in the context of this chapter, but the variety of terms used make the teaching come alive and more vibrant. In fact, teachers through the ages have used this method in getting across their message. Repetition without boredom, you might say. When I give a Bible teaching, I prepare by using a valuable tool on